I upgraded my Macbook Pro a week ago to Yosemite and came across some snags. Living on the edge has it’s drawbacks… After using Outlook 2011 for Mac exclusively for quite some time (we use a Microsoft Exchange server at work) I thought it was time to try using only Apple Mail for a while, a decision inspired also by the fact that the integration with OmniFocus was not working anymore (I’ll dedicate another post on that at a later time). It didn’t last long. Mail is constantly filling up the system log file with error messages resulting in general slowness of the whole MBP. So, back to Outlook. I eventually figured out what was wrong with regards to OmniFocus, even though it took me several hours.
Then I came across a change in the dungeons of OS X. Apple decided to upgrade the Apache web server included in every install from version 2.2 to 2.4. I use my MBP for updating this website too, and the local website wasn’t looking like it should anymore! This website, based on Fletcher Penny’s MultiMarkDown CMS makes use of Server Side Includes (SSI). In Apache 2.4 using SSI however has changed. I discovered this only after investigating the problem for several hours! Eventually I found the solution on this page: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26495204/osx-10-10-yosemite-apache-upgrade-to-2-4-server-side-includes-no-longer-works. Including the following in the
.htaccess file in the folder where this website in located makes Apache 2.4 use the expression parser of Apache 2.2:
<IfModule mod_include.c> SSILegacyExprParser on </IfModule>
It removed any and all of the problems I was experiencing.